Poet, Writer, Artist, Editor, Critic, Publisher, Mom

Tuesday, October 13, 2015

AMERICAN CANYON CELEBRATES FILIPINO AMERICAN HISTORY MONTH!

EVENT REPORT

I was invited to celebrate October as Filipino American History Month over at the American Canyon Public Library. I decided to go as I thought I then could go to neighboring city Vallejo afterwards for dinner.  I should have known better -- this being a Filipino affair, there was plenty of food for dinner and take-home!  Then, I hadn't actually realized so many of my books were in the area's public library system and it was an unexpected treat to see them displayed.  Food and books -- what a fabulous evening!  Thanks to librarian Ricah Quinto and poet-professor Janet Stickmon for organizing the affair.  Both deserve Kudos -- I believe Ricah set up the first Fil-am History celebration for the area's public library system; Janet is not only an accomplished poet/performer but helped set up the Philippine Studies program at Napa Valley Community College. Here's a visual coverage!


Display with THE THORN ROSARY

Caramel Cake!

Display with SUN STIGMATA


Janet Stickmon and Ricah Quinto

Sheila Bare with books!

Huge Filipino flag on library fence.

The kulintang!

In anticipation of the holidays, Filipino parols or lanterns!

Dinner: pancit, ensamada stuffed with chicken adobo and fried lumpia!


Highlighted accomplished Filipinos included Cristeta Comerford


Presenter on the need for Fil-Am Studies


Student performer


Event coordinators and performers

More books!


No comments:

Post a Comment